Partner – Lawyer
Dual qualified (Spain and Belgium) and with LL.M.s in law from the College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium) and the Cornell Law School (Ithaca, NY, United States), Pablo has divided his career between Spain, where he has practiced for five years, Brussels, where he practiced for eight years, and London, where he is a lecturer at Queen Mary University.
Mr. Figueroa has more than fourteen years of experience in European law, EU Competition law and Spanish Competition law across a wide range of sectors, including finance, pharmaceuticals, energy and telecommunications. Mr. Figueroa is one of the few practitioners in Madrid to have top experience in all domains of Antitrust / Competition law, both in Brussels and Madrid, including:
1. Litigation. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience litigation before the EU and Spanish Courts, having secured three victories for his clients before the Spanish Supreme Court.
2. Cartels. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience in EU and Spanish cartel law, both contentious and non-contentious, having been a part of the team that secured immunity for UBS AG from a €2.5 billion fine European Commission in relation to the latter’s LIBOR investigation.
3. Unilateral conduct. Acting for ICOMP, a coalition of complainants including Microsoft, the UK Premier League and others, in relation to the European Commission’s investigation of Google’s abuse of its dominant position in “online search”, which resulted in a fine of €2.42 billion, the second largest fine in the history of EU Competition law.
4. Merger control. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience in EU, Spanish and multijurisdictional merger control. Representative assignments include the following:
• Advising Caterpillar, Inc. in relation to its USD 810 million acquisition of MWM, a German manufacturer of reciprocating engine generator sets used for electricity production (M. 6106 Caterpillar / MWM).
• Advising the Universal Music Group in relation to its GBP 1.2 billion acquisition of the recorded music business of EMI, another music “major” (M. 6458 Universal Music Group / EMI Music).
• Representing a multiplicity of Spanish and international clients before the Spanish Competition Authority, including Johnson & Johnson, CVC and Koch Industries.
5. State Aid, advising the Basque Competition Authority in matters related to State Aid.
Mr. Figueroa also has significant experience in General European law, in particular successfully challenging national laws and regulations as contrary to European law.
Mr. Figueroa is a Lecturer at Queen Mary University (London, United Kingdom), a guest lecturer on Competition law at the Universidad de Deusto (Bilbao, Spain) and Adjunct Professor at the Instituto de Empresa (Madrid, Spain). He is an editor of World Competition, Law and Economics Journal (Kluwer) and acts as a consultant for the European University Institute (Florence, Italy). His paper on “RPM Under EU Competition Law: Some Considerations from a Business and Economic Perspective” was awarded ‘Best Business Economics Article – 2014’ by the Antitrust Writing Awards 2014. Mr. Figueroa was ranked as a ‘foreign expert in Spain’ for Belgium: Competition/European Law by Chambers Global 2017, according to whom, Mr. Figueroa “frequently represents clients before the Spanish National Competition Authority”. Mr. Figueroa is also recommended for Belgium: EU regulatory – Telecoms by Legal 500 EMEA 2015.
Mr. Figueroa is a native Spanish and Galician speaker. He speaks English, French and Portuguese. He is admitted to practice before all Spanish Courts and Tribunals, the European Commission and the EU Courts. Prior to joining Garrido Abogados, Mr. Figueroa practised for eight years in the competition group of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP and, prior to that, in the Madrid office of a Magic Circle firm.
Mr. Figueroa earned his Master of Laws (LL.M.) in 2006 from Cornell University, and also his Belgium, Master of Laws in 2001 at the College of Europe, both with full tuition scholarships. He attended Universidad de Deusto in Bilbao, Spain where he obtained his Law Degree in 2000.
- Law Degree (Deusto 2000).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) (College of Europe, Belgium 2001).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 2006).
- European Laws studies (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Lovain, Ithaca, Belgium).
- Allen & Overy LLP. Madrid. Corporate Law Associate.
- Linklaters LLP. Madrid. Competition Law Associate.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. Bruselas. Antitrust / Competition Law Senior Associate.
- Lecturer at Queen Mary University (London, United Kingdom).
- Guest lecturer on Competition law the University of Oxford (United Kingdom).
- Guest lecturer on Competition law at the Universidad de Deusto.
- Unilateral conduct / Abuse of dominance.
- Merger control.
- State Aid.
- Madrid Bar Association.
- Avocat au Barreau. Brussels.
Garrido Abogados is a multidisciplinary firm with a track record of more than 25 years of excellency and commitment.
Firm of choice for business law in Spain, we deliver a tailored service with excellency as our brand mark.